tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Oct 29 19:49:14 1995

Re: Translation correct?

[email protected] writes:
>qajatlh tlhInganpu'

You are speaking to Klingons.  That is already apparent.  There is no need
to waste your effort (and our time) in restating that which is obvious.
[Note that I'm being unnecessarily nit-picky here!]

>I'm a newbee in tlhIngan Hol.

The common spelling is "newbie". [More gratuitous nit-picking!]

>Trying to form a phrase, and wich to know if it's correct.
                              ====
You mean "wish", right? [:-)]

>[You (single) translate it into klingon] e.i. a name.

Is this a command or an observation of fact?  The two cases have different
meanings, and thus different translations.  If what you mean to say is "Hey
you -- translate it into the Klingon language!" then it's a command, and it
needs the "imperative" verb prefix.  "Translate it!" is {yImugh}. But if
you're simply noticing that someone indeed translates it into the Klingon
language, then it's a simple statement.  "You translate it" is, as you
propose, {Damugh}.

>{Damugh tlhIngan} looks nice.

First, the word order is wrong.  The only thing that comes after the verb
is a subject, and the subject is "you".  Second, you'll have to be a bit
more precise about what you mean by translating "into klingon".  The idea
of "translating into" a language doesn't quite fit the verb {mugh}.  To say
what I think you mean, you'll have to say something like "translate for the
benefit of speakers of the Klingon language" or "translate for the benefit
of Klingons."

>A friend advices me to write {Damugh tlhInganDaq}.

This also has problems with the word order, but it at least recognizes that
"translate into" needs more than a simple {mugh}.  Although the suffix
{-Daq} can mean "in" or "to", it is really supposed to indicate a physical
location, and not to be a replacement for the english "into".  Also,
{tlhIngan} isn't a language, it's a people. The name of the Klingons'
language is {tlhIngan Hol}.

>Wich of this would be preferable?
You mean "which of these", right? [:-)]

Neither of them makes sense as they stand.  Try again.