tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Oct 27 13:08:53 1995

Re: 'oH'egh'chu' (was Re: Hoghvam bom)

According to Jarno Peschier:

> At 20:11 22-10-95 -0700, you wrote:
> >HIja'!  qabqu' 'ach pe'vIl jIHaghqu'taH!
> >charghwI' bIval 'ej bIpo'.  yabwIj yIlo'Ha'Qo'.
>
> Mmm, just testing my Klingon:
>
> "You tell me! It is very bad, but forcefully I'm able to *laugh* [about it].
> You are a clever conquerer and and expert. ?????"

Note that the command "Tell me!" and the response "Yes." are
identical in Klingon. In this context, "Yes," made more sense.
You have confused the {-taH} that is here with {-laH} which
means "am able". It should be "It is bad, but forcefully I am
very much laughing!"

Because the prefix on {bIval} indicates no object, you know
that {charghwI'} has to be something else than the object. In
this case, it is the name of the person being addressed. TKD
does not speak of the grammar involved in this, but canon
examples abound. A better translation would be, "charghwI', you
are clever and you are expert." The last part means, "Don't
misuse your head."

That's probably a reference to the way I pound my head on my
desk in moments of frustration. I've lost more keyboards that
way...

> Could someone help me with this one? I'm a bit at a los here (and not too
> sure about the parts I was able to translate)...

Does this help?

charghwI'
--

 \___