tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Oct 27 12:58:37 1995

Re: Last chance for a klingon sword.. the price in message.

According to Dona Bazley:

> i'd like some clarification is the sword a batleth(sp) cut out with all
> the curves or just an oval shape with no cut outs please reply.
> K'Eertah

Just to get an answer to you faster, rather than wait for Jim
to answer, his description to me is that it is the blank piece
of metal which constitutes a betleH. The handles are not
wrapped. The dull aluminum finish is not polished. All edges
are square cutouts. (Imagine that you made the best betleH you
could manage cutting it out of 1/4" plywood and then wave a
magic wand over it and turn the wood into aluminum.) You are
getting a piece of 1/4" aluminum plate which is completely cut
out into the 2-dimensional shape of a betleH.

They start with a big piece of 1/4" aluminum plate, run it
through a high-precision, VERY high powered squirt gun which
cuts out whatever 2-dimensional shape they tell it to. Jim
tells it to make the shape of a betleH. What comes out is what
you get.

You need to polish it if you want it to shine, or you can keep
the dull aluminum finish. Your choice. It still looks like
metal (since it is). You can wrap the handles with whatever
materials you consider appropriate. I intend to emulate the
handles on my Japanese saws with twine or reed, or if I
discover I am inept at this, LOTS of tape.

If you want a decorative edge (don't expect a cutting edge on
aluminum -- it is much too soft), you may file one or grind one.

Hope this helps. It would be great to show up at qep'a' wejDIch
and stand among a dozen SuvwI'pu' comparing the care with which
we have ground, polished and wrapped these nuHmey 'IHqu'.

Any ideas for scabbords?

charghwI'
---
 \___