tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Oct 20 02:22:17 1995

Re: Reopening CVC

> {a} in {aw} rhymes with "cow", and the "o" in
> "cow" (before your lips purse for the "w") sounds pretty much
> the same as the "a" in "father", hence, no dipthong.
>
> charghwI'
I have to comment on this (it's compulsive)

i) the 'a-sounds' in father and cow are not the same.
   the first is produced farther back in the mouth
   and is longer than the second

ii) the w in cow is not a consonant - at least not
    as much as in war or the like

an ASCII-IPA transcription would look like this
w as in war - [w]
a as in father - [A:]
ow as in cow - [aU]
(maybe noting that the [U] is unsyllabic and forms
a diphtong!)

even if you don't know the exact meaning of those
IPA symbols, you can clearly see, they're different

these are of course phonemes of English, NOT of
Klingon. However, that's about all we have from
TKD. I'll know more, as soon as I have the tapes...

			Marc "Dochlangan"

Marc Ruehlaender	[email protected]
Universitaet des Saarlandes, Saarbruecken, Germany