tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Oct 17 22:54:24 1995

Re: HolQeD 4:3 p5

On Tue, 17 Oct 1995, Anthony Curran wrote:

> I was attempting to translate the second sentence of card S13 when I hit a
> snag.  My first time through I came up with this:
>
> qorDu' SaHlu'chugh 'ej matlhlu'chugh vaj wa' tlhingan ghob potlhqu'
>
> If one cares about family and if one is loyal, then one's Klingon ethics
> are emphatically important.
>
> Then I realized that this puts the subject of the main clause in the wrong
> place.  I looked at it again and realized that <potlhqu'> may be an
> adjectival use of the verb, except that this would mean there is no verb in
> this part of the sentence.  The only other possibility I can think of is
> this.  Perhaps the entire first clause <qorDu' SaHlu'chugh 'ej
> matlhlu'chugh> is acting as the subject of the verb <potlhqu'> and <wa'
> tlhingan ghob> is the object, meaning something like the following:

I also think that that sentence is screwed up.  You are correct in that
the placement of {potlhqu'} after the noun would indicate it is acting
adjectivally and not the main verb of the sentence, which leaves the
sentence with no main verb.

In order to make this sentence work, I think they either need to put
{potlhqu'} after the word {vaj}, or add another verb, like {'oH}, to the
end of the sentence.

> This is pretty weak, but it's the only thing I can come up with that
> doesn't resort to the conclusion that someone simply screwed up the
> sentence.

This sentence is definitely screwed up.

> qo'ran

yoDtargh