tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Oct 17 20:38:20 1995

HolQeD 4:3 p5

I was attempting to translate the second sentence of card S13 when I hit a
snag.  My first time through I came up with this:

qorDu' SaHlu'chugh 'ej matlhlu'chugh vaj wa' tlhingan ghob potlhqu'

If one cares about family and if one is loyal, then one's Klingon ethics
are emphatically important.

Then I realized that this puts the subject of the main clause in the wrong
place.  I looked at it again and realized that <potlhqu'> may be an
adjectival use of the verb, except that this would mean there is no verb in
this part of the sentence.  The only other possibility I can think of is
this.  Perhaps the entire first clause <qorDu' SaHlu'chugh 'ej
matlhlu'chugh> is acting as the subject of the verb <potlhqu'> and <wa'
tlhingan ghob> is the object, meaning something like the following:

One's consideration for family and one's loyalty is one emphatically
important Klingon value (ethic).

This is pretty weak, but it's the only thing I can come up with that
doesn't resort to the conclusion that someone simply screwed up the
sentence.

qo'ran

Back to archive top level