tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Oct 17 07:18:37 1995

Re: HolQeD 4:3 p4 S7

According to Anthony Curran:
> DujvamDaq tlhingan nuH tu'lu'bogh pov law' Hoch pov puS...
>
> the excellence of the Klingon weapons which one finds on this vessel is
> greater than the excellence of all others.
>
> The question is this.  Am I correctly interpreting the placement of the
> word <tlhingan> in this sentence?  Somehow pointing out that they are
> Klingon weapons seems odd, almost extraneous.  At first I thought that
> <tlhingan> was describing the ship, but in that case, it should be placed
> before <DujvamDaq>.  Am I picking a nit, or is it possible there is
> something new here?

I think it is a question of degree. To say that the weapons on
this ship are more excellent than all might be merely a
statement that they are Klingon weapons, which {net Sovba'} are
more excellent than anybody ELSE's weapons, but to say that
they are Klingon weapons explicitly and THEN say they are more
excellent than anybody else's marks them as exceptionally
excellent EVEN AMONG KLINGON WEAPONS. At this point, you KNOW
they are impressive weapons.

> Also, is there prior canon evidence that the -bogh contruction in a
> law'/puS comparison is valid, or is this the first confirmation that this
> is allowed?

I take it as confirmation, whether it is first or not. That is
enough for me.

> DochHommey law' vInuD neH
>
> qo'ran

charghwI'