tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Oct 16 22:32:19 1995

Re: HolQeD 4:3 p4 S7

Anthony Curran writes:
>DujvamDaq tlhingan nuH tu'lu'bogh pov law' Hoch pov puS...
>
>the excellence of the Klingon weapons which one finds on this vessel is
>greater than the excellence of all others.

I see no problem, except for the possible redundancy of {tlhIngan}.

The second part of the sentence confuses me a lot, though:

{DujvamDaq 'op SuvwI' tu'lu'bogh po' law' tlhIngan yo' SuvwI' law' po' puS}

"The {'op} warrior which one finds on this ship is more skilled than
the many Klingon fleet's warrior[s]."

First, what in the world is {'op}?!  Second, it looks like {SuvwI' law'}
is intended to mean "many of the warriors," and that doesn't seem right.

>Also, is there prior canon evidence that the -bogh contruction in a
>law'/puS comparison is valid, or is this the first confirmation that this
>is allowed?

The use of a pair of law'/puS constructions connected by {'ej} also
seems to be new to canon.  The construction seems officially to have
the full privileges of a sentence.