tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Oct 15 08:19:49 1995

Re: TLHINGAN-HOL digest 261

According to Matt Treyvaud:

> > TKD page 172: "I wasn't there." {pa' jIHpu'be'}

> But, if you are negating the completion of the act, wouldn't that mean
> that the act is still ongoing? eg:
>
>   pa' jIH       = I am there
>   pa' jIHpu'    = I have finished being there.
>   pa' jIHpu'be' = I have not finished being there.

The first thing to know is that {-be'} can be applied to any
suffix except Type 9. Given that, my spin would be:

pa' jIH = I am there.

pa' jIHbe' = I am not there.

pa' jIHbe'pu' = I have been not there. In other words, I have
not spent my entire life in that spot. The act is complete that
I have been some other place than there.

pa' jIHpu' = I have been there.

pa' jIHpu'be' = I have not been there. The act is not complete
that I have been there. If I say that to you and I am obviously
not there at the time, then obviously I have never been there.

> ?
>
>     C /\ T
>    F /()\ C  ...CM is ATMA!
>   C /____\    ...http://ariel.its.unimelb.edu.au/~cthulhu