tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Oct 15 08:19:49 1995

Re: Klingon Mailing list

If there is some long-standing history behind this interaction,
I apologise for my ignorance. Meanwhile, I'm incensed at this
interaction as it is presented here.

According to David Barron:

My, but this is a rather rude way of saying that you don't like
the suggestion. While I have a lot of respect for Jay and all
he offers to this list, I have NO respect for this particular
remark, especially as it is directed at one who is not without
significant contribution to KLI. Were I Jay, I'd be rather
embarrassed for having uttered it.

It would have been fine to say "I don't like this idea." It is
not at all fine to generalize, essentially saying, "Nothing
that comes from you is welcome here." Whatever core issue is
disturbing Jay should be addressed more directly than this
unwarranted display of personal bigotry.

> Sorry,
> I wasn't trying to offend you.

I don't see anything to apologise for. You made a sincere
suggestion with no apparently implied insult. He made a
personally insulting reply. He could have easily rejected the
idea without insulting you this way. Meanwhile, I doubt anyone
could easily be less insulting while making the suggestion you
made.

Jay has every right to reject the idea. Meanwhile, all the
wonderful contributions he makes to the list and all the weeks
of stress he has suffered for our benefit still doesn't buy him
unlimited license to slam anyone whenever he likes. If he
thinks he needs this license, then what he really needs is
either professional help to deal with the stress in a healthier
manner, or a little social training to improve his skills at
interacting with others in an appropriate manner.

> --
>  David Barron                    ||           lup Hoch yIyInqu'
>  Klingon Language Postal Course  ||           qaStaHvIS wa' lup
>  P.O. Box 37, Eagle ID 83616     ||        yInpu' wa'netlh yInmey
>  It's FREE! Send Self-Addressed Stamped Envelope. Not available by E-mail!
>                      E-mail   [email protected]

charghwI'
--

 \___