tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Oct 12 20:33:31 1995

Re: Straight from MO

On Thu, 12 Oct 1995 [email protected] wrote:

> Marc Okrand was a guest at the Far Point convention in Maryland this past
> weekend (10/6-8).  I asked him a couple of things y'all will probably be
> interested in.
>
> 1)      He was *not* consulted for "Way of the Warrior."  He said that whomever
> did do the tlhIngan Hol was familiar with the language, but there were some
> things wrong.  He did not go into details.

I noticed they did a couple of simple phrases right, like when the
Klingon general slammed a taj on a table in front of Sisco and said {SoHvaD}.
I wonder if anyone out there got some of the Klingon phrases down on
closed caption.  Some of the actors' pronunciation was not too precise.
(I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the grammar wasn't too precise
either.)

I was chagrined to hear Gowron say something that was supposed to mean
"Today is a good day to die".  According to the novelization of the
episode, they render the phrase as, "ChegHchu djajVam djajKak" which I
can only speculate might represent {Heghchugh jajvam jaj QaQ} which
could be a clipped-Klingon way of saying {jIHeghchugh jajvam 'oH jaj QaQ'e'}.

Unfortunately my VCR tape self-destructed, so I don't know what was
actually said in the show.

> 2)      He was around for the scene filming of the Klingon CD-ROM.  They have
> yet to start on the language lessons. (I told him about the mistakes on the
> Web advertisement.  He said he'd check it out.)

maj.  Did he say if he was actually doing the language lesson parts?

> 3)      He did transliterate the actors names for "Star Trek Communicator."
>  But they have not sent him his complementary copy, so he can't verify
> what they printed.  (He got a chuckle when I told him the comment,
> "Whoever did this, must be very familiar with the language."

I finally got myself a copy of that issue.  Overall, I was rather pleased
with the Klingon in it.

> 4)      Right now he is working on doing messages for those ST phone cards.
>  Not only is he doing tlhIngan stuff, but he is also doing new Vulcan
> stuff.

Does that mean he is developing the Vulcan language?

> r'Hul

yoDtargh

Back to archive top level