tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 29 18:26:25 1995

Re: qeylIS betleH

>Sometimes I think that everyday Hol bears as much resemblence
>to the Hol of TKD as the ghetto English of the inner city resebles the
>Queen's English!)

Hey, that's quite an insight!  I consider myself to be EXTREMELY fluent
in English, but there's NO WAY that I can understand some of the stuff
that gets spoken "on the street."  I've seen a couple of HBO specials
where not only did they have to use subtitles to make sure everyone was
able to tell what words were being said, they also "froze" the show at
times to explain how certain words had particular, unobvious, meanings.
I suppose that from the point of view of an Egyptian student of English,
"street talk" would seem as "wrong" as {MAH HIV DAH} and {maj ram} do
to us.

So we study and use "High Klingon" and Paramount puts "common Klingon"
on the screen.  Not a problem!