tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 29 16:00:11 1995

Name-problem...

At 21:41 28-11-95 -0800, you wrote:

>>If you move {QI'tomer} you might as well move {tera'} and {romuluS}, etc.
>>I think you'll find that place names are better treated as regular nouns,
>>Either that or have yet another file, PLACES.LST, for them.
>>Why's that? Because of the suffices like -Daq and such? Maybe you're right.
>I'm not just worried about suffixes.  You do realize that they apply to
>names as well?  {peSHIrvo' jIghoS} or {'IHlaw' mara'e'}.  What concerns
>me is the possibility of compound nouns:  {QI'tomerngan} or {tera'maS}.

Mmm, you're right. I didn't think of these possibilities. While QI'tomer and
tera' are still simply in NOUNS.LST (and because my program now recognises
combinations of two basic nouns), QI'tomerngan gives "Khitomer+inhabitant"
and tera'maS gives "Earth+moon".

But the names are treated differently from nouns. I should change that some
day. Simply putting names and nouns (even though they come from different
files and are "semantically different") into the same datastructure (sorted
array) for nouns. With duplicate checking (and resolving) during input of
the names into the array of course...

Thanks for mentioning this!

Qapla'
peSHIr

          Jarno Peschier, [email protected], 2:2802/245.1@Fido
      162:100/100.1@Agora, 74:3108/102.1@QuaZie, 27:2331/214.1@SigNet
     What was was, before was was was? Before was was was, was was is.

Back to archive top level