tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 28 13:00:57 1995

Re: qeylIS betleH and stuff

On 27 Nov 95 at 14:15, Matt Gomes <[email protected]> wrote:

Joel wrote:
> : Personally, I think it is terrific that Paramount is salting real Klingon
> : into the show!
jIQochbe'
> : As easy as it sounds *TO
> : US* to fiddle around and make wonderful grammatical Klingon, that is far less
> : important than getting the story written and shot in time and under budget.
> : It is well known that the "technobabble" is written in the Trek scripts as
> : "tech the tech, and after tech, we'll tech the..." (you get the idea).  At
> : the end of the script writing process, this is polished off into some
> : appropriate jargon.
This is usually the job of Mike Okuda and Rick Sternbach. According
to the Making of Star Trek Deep Space Nine these two guys come up
with a couple different suggestions which are finalized by Rick
Berman and Michael Piller (page 129).
> : Does anyone think they're going to spend MORE effort on
> : tlhIngan Hol?
Well, if they were a bit more dedicated to the language (i.e.
boosting sales of the CD-ROM) then I don't see why someone couldn't
call the KLI during the same period in production that Okuda and
Sternbach are called in. I realize that the constant changes of
scripts on TV would clearly make the language a secondary priority,
but in the episode the Sword of Kahless it would have been simple for
them to have dialed the number.
> :     joel peter anderson

> I agree with you, Joel, BUT... the KLI provides an EASY and FREE service.
> Secondly, Paramount is developing a CD-ROM just for the purpose of increasing
> the "community of Klingon nerds."  They wouldn't invest the money if they
> didn't think it would be a gigantic cash cow!  So, what they're saying to me
> is, "We'll take your money for the CD-ROM, but we won't use it ourselves!"

Maybe if we made them aware of this they would start calling the KLI.
Or perhaps they think that the sudden increase in semi-Hol on DS9 is
making us happy?!? What if they think they are doing us a favor?!

> -majIq
                             maSqa'
    "Had I not known that I was dead already,
    I would have mourned the loss of my life"
              -Ota Dokan, Japanese poet
 (written while a knife protruded from his chest)

Back to archive top level