tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Nov 26 14:21:22 1995

Re: qeylIS betleH

>>It seens to me that "maj ram" would not be a Klingon
>>expression, but could have been an attempt to translate "good night".  "ram
>>QaQ", which would seem to me to be better Klingon, would refer to a night
>>which is good.  I might translate "good night" as something like "ram QaQ
>>Daghajjaj" (although that seems a bit formal) or "ram QaQ yIghaj" (which
>>sounds a bit harsh).
>
>I think you're being a bit too literal here.  Surely, if a Klingon wanted to
>say this, it would be more like {ram Dativjaj}.  Or, better yet, {ramvammo'
>batlh Datu'jaj}.

I saw the DS9 episode last evening.  It made me sick to listen to the
tlhIngan Hol getting so butchered.  Why do Paramount filmmakers not get
counsel from KLI first?  It's absolutely ridiculous to not use the language
correctly after they have paid MO for developing the language.
 Disgraceful!!!

If {ram} can be translated as "It's night," then I will wince and allow for
bad punctuation as pronounced.  {maj} {ram} as two distinct sentences I could
interpret as "Fine.  It's night."  Then, the participants in the prior
conversation get up and leave without further ado.

As for {maHIv} {DaH}, I can see two distinct sentences again.  But, of
course, we have already condemned {maH HIv DaH}.  The actors need to practive
grammar and punctuation during their dialogues.

peHruS

Back to archive top level