tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 22 12:53:16 1995

Re: Calendar Ideas

PeHruS saith:

>According to a book called Pawns & Symbols, the axis of the planet
>Klingzai is nearly upright and there is very little distinction of
>seasons.  Once...
    Yes, I am familiar with _Pawns and Symbols_.  The first requirement in
working in the ECP is to research that novel.  But, again, Klinzhai is but
one of the planets of the Empire.

>In one episode the month {maqtaQ} is mentioned. It has at least 43 days.
     Another datum!  Thank you.  Do you remember the title of the episode?
     Months, in most of the terrestrial systems, are based on the
revolution of the Terran moon.  Does anyone have data about natural moons
of the Homeworld?  Praxis or some other?
     _Star Trek The Worlds of the Federation_ mentions a planet named
Kling, but does not give any information as to its periods of revolution
and rotation.
     In _The Star Trek Encyclopedia_ there is an entry "Qo'noS" that is
unhelpful.  The entries "Kling" and "Klingon Homeworld" are equally
unhelpful.  There is no entry for "Klinzhai."

>days are reckoned from dawn to dawn and have 24 hour periods about the
>same length as those of Earth.
     Yes, I guess we'll have to live with that if it is considered canon,
but there is no special reason why Klingons would divide their day into
twenty-four parts.  Nine, eighteen or twenty-seven would be much more
likely, considering the old 3-base numbering system in Klingon culture.
Likewise, minutes and seconds would probably number something like 27, 54
or 81, rather than 60.

>To determine when the holidays occur, I only know that {QI'lop} is during
>the tenth month.
     Which tells us there are at least ten months.  Where did you get this
information?  QI'lop?  Armed Forces Day?

>Klinzai is half again as large as Earth.  The mathematics fit.
     Well, not really.  The length of a planet's year depends on the mass
of the primary and the planet's distance from the primary.  The mass of the
planet contributes very little to the equation, and the volume contributes
not at all.

>TKD pp9-10 says "...Terms associated with the various scineces are the
>subject of a special study, a report is currrently being prepared...fully
>elucidated in the forthcoming Klingon Encyclopedia."
      Yahbut, when? {sob}

>HachtaHjaj tlhIngan Hol yajtaHghach
     "tlhIngan Hol yajtahghach" vIwutlh 'ach nuq Qum "HachtaHjaj" 'e' DaHech'a'

     Paul

Back to archive top level