tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 22 14:15:53 1995

Re: Let's try that again...

Richard P. Williamson writes:
>1.  "Death awaits you all, with nasty great pointy teeth..."
>-> <Klinglish> you(all) are-awaited-by Death's teeth ugly, sharp(augm)
>        lIloS Hegh HoDu' moH jej'a'...

{jej} is a verb.  It's acting adjectivally here, but it's still a verb,
and it cannot take the noun suffix {-'a'}.  If you want to emphasize it,
you may use the verb suffix {-pu'}.  Watch your spelling; you lost the
{'} in the middle of {Ho'Du'}.  I really shouldn't comment on what you
call "Klinglish," but you need to remember that the subject comes after
the verb.  {lIloS} does not mean "you(all) are-awaited-by," it really
does mean "[he/she/it/they] await(s) y'all."

>2.  "Customer Support Engineer"
>-> technician who helps users
>        lo'wI' ngaqbogh chamwI'

...or "a user who is supported by a technician," since you haven't marked
either the subject or object as the head noun of the phrase.  You need
to say {chamwI''e'} in order to indicate that this phrase is referring to
a *technician*.  But why use {chamwI'}?  I think {ngaqwI'} works better.
Also, you've changed the scope from "customer" to "user," and that's going
to cost you more money if you have to support people who haven't bought
anything. :-)

>3.  "Wind River Systems"
>        SuS bIQtIq patDu'

{-Du'} is used ONLY for body parts, and I don't think that's what you
intend to imply here.

>4.  rIp -> council (v), so councillor? rIpwI'?

No.  {rIp} is "council, assembly (n)" -- it's not a verb.  I'm not sure
what "council" would mean as a verb anyway.  Note that {rIp} is one of
the "one-way-only" entries in the dictionary.  I don't see it listed in
the English->Klingon side, although its apparent synonym {yej} is given
in both directions.

You probably want "counsel" and "counselor" instead.  Decide whether you
mean "help" or "suggest" or something else and work from there.