tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 21 20:09:24 1995

Re: "deliverance" again...

Tue, 21 Nov 1995 ghItlh jI'qel:

> Ideas for "deliverance", the name of my Trek ship:
> I first wrote *pawmoHlu'ta'wI'*, but then I realised that that would be "one
> who causes (things) to arrive", and I need the "-ance" on the end .... I
> won't suggest the evil      -ghach, because of the stigma it seems to have
> attained on the list, but I would like to hear any suggestions y'all might
> have about this...

"Deliverance" not only means to deliver (i.e. to convey something) but it
also means to liberate or to rescue.   Therefore I would something along
the lines of {tlhabmoH} or {toD}.  As a matter of personal preference, I
wouldn't even add {-wI'} unless you wanted an exact translation, in which
case you could put {-taHghach} on the end.

On the other hand, if your ship is a transport or mail-carrier and
"Deliverance" is describing its function, then I would use {HIj}.

> Lt Barrows
> a.k.a. jI'qel

yoDtargh

Back to archive top level