tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 21 19:44:48 1995

Re: "deliverance" again...

Lt Barrows writes:
>Ideas for "deliverance", the name of my Trek ship:
>I first wrote *pawmoHlu'ta'wI'*, but then I realised that that would be "one
>who causes (things) to arrive", and I need the "-ance" on the end .... I
>won't suggest the evil      -ghach, because of the stigma it seems to have
>attained on the list, but I would like to hear any suggestions y'all might
>have about this...

{-ghach} is not evil.  Overusing it isn't even evil, just sloppy.  If one
relies on it in order to translate English sentences, one fails to learn
how to find the meaning underlying the words.

In your case, "Deliverance" is a noun, which means either the process of
delivering or the event of being delivered.  I think this is intended to
mean something like "salvation" -- and {-ghach} is tailor-made for the
kind of concept you want.  I think the event of being saved could be
translated as {toDlu'ta'ghach}.

But I don't think it's necessary for the name to stay a noun when it's
translated.  You could easily decide that the ship name is {toDchu'ta'}.