tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 21 14:06:38 1995

Re: jIlIH(')egh, etc.

[ghIH 'Iw 'ej *sex-appeal* lughajbe' lomDu']

peHruS writes:
>I've seen before {lommey}, not {lomDu'}.  Should the body part suffix be
>affixed to corpses?

"Mu."  That's zen-speak for "I unask the question."  I'd leave off the
plural suffix completely in this sentence: {*sex-appeal* ghajbe' lom}
In general, however, I'd tend not to refer to body parts from separate
bodies with the suffix {-Du'} unless they were participating in some
coordinated activity.  Unless the corpses were somehow animated, I would
use {-mey} when specifically talking about more than one.

>Similar question: what plural suffix should be used on qa' (spirit)?
>qa'pu' fits with the Klingon idea that the body is merely a shell,
>while the true person is the spirit.
>qa'Du' works since the spirit is part of the person.
>qa'mey seems as wrong IMO. Anyone else have a suggestion?

The spirit is definitely NOT a part of the body.  The body is what is
left after the spirit departs; the spirit is what can use language.  So
I think {qa'pu'} is the best choice.

Spirits are people; bodies are merely things.