tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 20 19:11:15 1995

Re: Calendar Ideas

Joel Nagy said:

>Also what about the names of the Months in Klingon?

>I figure that years are probably done with year 1, being the year that
>either Kalesh was born or the year he became the Emperor of the Klingon >Empire.

>If we could gather enough info on the Klingon Calendar maybe we could make
>one.
   I'd like that, but we need to know the celestial mechanics, orbital
elements and so forth, before that can be done.

Qeygh said:

>Since the Mac supports custom calendars for various languages, one
>should be able to write a Klingon calendar addition so that all your
>dates are converted to Klingon.
     Yahbut, most calendar programs assume you want a calendar for planet
Earth.  I'd like to find a flexible one.

Rick Young said:
>Kahless died 1,547 years earlier (A.D. 822).
    It's good to have more exact data, but of course those are Earth years.

Alan Anderson said:
>I've considered using these Midwest-US-centric terms for seasons:
>{poH bIr, poH SuD, poH tuj, SorHeghHey poH}.

     I have seen non-canon documents that specify, for Klinzhai, a
344.14-day year divided into three seasons and 68.8 five-day weeks.  The
day specified is of 28 hours.  There were also terms for the three seasons
[poHpochlI', lopyInlI', poHyoblI'].

Alan also asks what we would use these names for.  I suggest, for starters,
the writing of Haiku, other forms of poetry and finally a novel.

Michiel Uitdehaag said a lot for which I give thanks.  He had many good
points in his note.

    Paul

Back to archive top level