tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 20 11:34:47 1995

Re: if, then...

>Date: Thu, 16 Nov 1995 13:46:29 -0800
>From: "d'Armond Speers" <[email protected]>

>On Thu, 16 Nov 1995, Christian Matzke wrote:

>>     If mongDech is collar, then could DeSDech be sleeve and 'uSDech
>> be pant leg?

>Although I appreciate your logic, these constructions do not follow the
>rules for the grammar that we've been given.  Your */DeSDech/ and
>*/'uSDech/ are both Noun-Verb compounds, a construction which falls
>outside of the grammar as we know it.  It may be that, at some time in
>the future, we're given these very words from Okrand.  But until that
>time, we can't assume they exist.

I agree with most of what Holtej says: *DeSDech and *'uSDech presume the
existence of a morpheme we have no real evidence for, at least for its
productive and independent existence.

>>     If nItlhpach is fingernail, then is yaDpach toenail?
>> Also, can vaH (holster) be translated sheath as well?

>I would understand /yaDpach/ as I understand /nItlhpach/.  It is a valid
>Noun-Noun construction.

Right.

I'm not sure vaH is all that bad for "sheath".  In context, it would likely
be understood, I'd think.

~mark

Back to archive top level