tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 16 13:42:47 1995

Re: if, then...

On Thu, 16 Nov 1995, Christian Matzke wrote:

>     If mongDech is collar, then could DeSDech be sleeve and 'uSDech
> be pant leg?

Although I appreciate your logic, these constructions do not follow the
rules for the grammar that we've been given.  Your */DeSDech/ and
*/'uSDech/ are both Noun-Verb compounds, a construction which falls
outside of the grammar as we know it.  It may be that, at some time in
the future, we're given these very words from Okrand.  But until that
time, we can't assume they exist.

>     If nItlhpach is fingernail, then is yaDpach toenail?
> Also, can vaH (holster) be translated sheath as well?

I would understand /yaDpach/ as I understand /nItlhpach/.  It is a valid
Noun-Noun construction.

I would not say that /vaH/ works as "sheath."  Though there is a sense in
which you may intepret the English words "holster" and "sheath"
synonymously, there's no evidence to draw the conclusion that you can do
the same with the Klingon word /vaH/.  Perhaps there is a word for
"sheath" and we just haven't discovered it yet.  Perhaps the word for
"sheath" is /vaH/, and we just don't know it yet.

This is an unproductive line of query.  Rather, what is it you're trying
to say in Klingon?  (mantra, mantra, mantra...).  What is it about a
sheath that you're trying to capture?  What are you trying to cover with
a sheath?  (Do I want to know?  {{;)

>                                 maSqa'

--Holtej

Back to archive top level