tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 16 12:55:57 1995

Re: haiku

>Date: Wed, 15 Nov 1995 20:32:45 -0800
>From: [email protected] (Alan Anderson)

>Qogh writes:
>>jaghwIj'a' nujvo'
>>nIjtaH Doqbogh Iw'.  Dunbej!
>>jI'ItHa'.  yay'a'!

>Once again, {-'a'} is a type 1 noun suffix, and as such must come before
>any other suffixes.  Your first word has the suffix order wrong. (This
>*is* poetry, so I won't complain about the naked noun at the end.)

There's nothing wrong with that; nobody said a sentence had to end with the
line.  The noun-phrase is simply the object of the sentence, whose verb
follows.

>I already have a preferred translation for this:
>{SIbI' bIQapbe'chugh yInIDqa'taH}

I like your translation much better than the one I just posted a few
minutes ago.

~mark

Back to archive top level