tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 16 10:36:37 1995

Re: Is there a KLI program

On Thu, 16 Nov 1995, Leys wrote:

> >Again, same question. Did you do the actual translation (and did you use the
> >program as "lookup table") or did the program do all the translating itself?
>
> I've found it somewhere in a newsgroup. The program gives you a translation
> of any word.

Judging from the output below, this isn't my program.  There are several
around there.  A version of mine is at the KLI's ftp site, plus at
oak.oakland.edu.

As any of the veterans around here can tell you, if you come to rely on a
software program for your translation of texts on this list, as nifty and
convenient as it sounds, it will actually slow you down in your learning
of tlhIngan Hol.  You don't learn the words, you come to rely on this
outside source rather than your own memory.  I have spent a long time
fine-tuning my translation software, and have dedicated a lot of hard
work and energy to the task.  Nevertheless, I'd suggest that you spend
your time learning the language yourself, mechanically unaided.  The
software makes a great spell-checker.  :)

> I give you an example, this is a random word that I don't know:
> nIDbe'bogh
>
> The program gives:
> (he/she/it/they[-him/her/it]), attempt/try, not, which

Mine gives:

V: nIDbe'bogh: which not attempt, try

> Another one:
> vImaSbej = I-him/her/it/them, prefer, certainly/undoubtedly

V: vImaSbej: I certainly prefer him/her/it/them

> Thomas Leys

d'Armond Speers, Research Engineer
Thomson Technology Services Group/NLP Lab    phone: 301-548-4073
1375 Piccard Drive, Suite 250                fax:   301-527-4080
Rockville, MD  20850                         email: [email protected]