tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 16 10:28:46 1995

Re: tlhIngan pongmey

On 16 Nov 95 at 10:14, d'Armond Speers wrote:

> > This sounds good to me.  However, there are probably a LOT of people
> > involved in things Klingon who are also computer types.  You might
> > want to pick something a bit more personal and less transitory.
>
> When I came on this list late in 1992, I received some flack for choosing
> "Holtej" as my name.  I countered with the observation that TKD lists
> names for people that are also other words, like /Qugh/ and /matlh/.
> Then, there's the incontravertible /Qel/, which pretty much settles
> things.  Also, it's not at all uncommon to choose names of professions as
> personal names, such as "Porter", "Smith", and "Miller".  I think we've
> done a decent job of disambiguating when we're referring to an individual,
> ane when we're referring to a profession, on this list.
>
> --Holtej

My observation was not intended as "flack" or any other sort of
criticism.  My own *tlhIngan pong* certainly translates as an
"occupation" of sorts.  All I meant was that it seemed possibly a
"quick" choice and that he might want to consider a bit further if he
wanted that as a "permanent" name, or find something which might be
more distinctive of him personally.  It is certainly not my place (or
anyone's) to tell someone what a "proper" name is.

'etlhqengwI'

Garrett Michael Hayes            [email protected]
Client/Server Labs               http://www.cslinc.com
8601 Dunwoody Place, Suite 332
Atlanta, GA 30350
770-552-3645 voice               770-993-4667 fax

Back to archive top level