tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 13 08:09:23 1995

Re: jIlIH(')egh, etc.

On Mon, 13 Nov 1995, Mark E. Shoulson wrote:

> You have to be careful with verbs; just because they're listed as
> infinitives, don't forget that they're always conjugated with respect to a
> particular subject and object whenever you use them in a sentence.

I wouldn't say they're listed as infinitives.  An infitive form would be
"to eat", for instance; it's just "eat (v)" in TKD.  I'd describe this as
the base or root form, without regard to tense.

I think this was probably done on purpose, so that people wouldn't get
confused, as this fellow did, about verb forms.  If it was listed as "to
eat" in TKD, people'd be trying to say *"Sop vIneH" for "I want to eat".

Wow, sometimes I can be really nit-picky, can't I?

> ~mark

--Holtej

Back to archive top level