tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 13 07:53:32 1995

Re: cha'SaD wa'

>Date: Sat, 11 Nov 1995 13:28:08 -0800
>From: [email protected] (Alan Anderson)

>~mark wrote:
>>lupDujHom yaH lojmIt tIpoSmoH, *Hal*...

>I responded:
>>jIQoS, *Dave*, 'ach qaloblaHbe' vIja'nISneS.

>After rereading this, I have two comments to make.
>First, both "Hal" and "Dave" are representable in the romanized
>pseudo-pIqaD that we use.  I think that's a nifty coincidence.

Coincidence?  I hardly think so.  It's well-known that Arthur C. Clarke was
a student of Klingon.  Why, I'm sure he would have started the KLI himself
had TKD been written then.  And don't give me any guff about how the
language didn't exist when the movie was written.  A language like Klingon
is not troubled by trifles like causality.

>Second, I really should have put the verb of speaking before the
>"quoted" sentence.  As it is, it reminds me of Martin Short's
>character on Saturday Night Live with the Pat Sajack fixation.
>He often said things like "This is a surprise, I must say."

I'm not sure why you even bothered with the "saying" sentence at all.

~mark

Back to archive top level