tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Nov 12 14:37:29 1995

Re: Responses to Vocabluary

> Date sent:      10-Nov-95 3:47:34 -0600
> From:           JPESCHIE @ INTERNET (Jarno Peschier) {[email protected]}
> To:             TLHINGAN @ INTERNET (Multiple recipients of list) {[email protected]}
> Send reply to:  TLHINGAN @ INTERNET {[email protected]}
> Subject:        Re: Responses to Vocabluary

> [Quoting Adam Walker]
> >
> > > Translating words is easy -- even
> > > a computer program can do it.
> > Not so.
>
> I do not agree. Of course it possible to let a computer translate
> words. THere are even complete language translation programs
> (English-French and vice versa, I believe, among others...?). Not that
> they're that good (yet), but the field is progressing, I'm sure. In
> fact, I've seem multiple Klingon-English "translation programs"
> already that could translate Klingon words to English (or help a great
> deal with it). I even wrote a very simple version of such a program
> myself to help me with my study of tlhIngan Hol.
>
> --
>           Jarno Peschier, [email protected], 2:2802/245.1@Fido
>       162:100/100.1@Agora, 74:3108/102.1@QuaZie, 27:2331/214.1@SigNet
>      What was was, before was was was? Before was was was, was was is.

I wasn't commenting on the ability of computers to translate, but
rather on the "ease" of translating.  It is a very complex task to
accomplish well.  I know.  I'm an interprter for American Sign
Language.  (BTW does anyone out there have access to bilingual
dictionaries of other signed languages.  Its another language topic
that I'm very interested in!)

Back to archive top level