tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Nov 10 11:15:34 1995

Re[5]: ranks and titles (was Suppletion)

On 10 Nov 95 at 5:03, [email protected] <[email protected]> wrote:

> I've been following this conversation with a little confusion.  Is <ta'be>
> canon?  I don't know the source.

ta'be' is from the KSRP translation of Hamlet. It isn't canon, it's
an attempt to translate the term Queen as it applies to Gertrude so
that Klingons could understand it. The KSRP can't make anything
canon, but I'm more likely to accept one of their terms over
something some guy working buy himself makes up.

 > Without that knowledge, I would have thought that the gender of
 > the ruler would be immaterial. The ruler would be <ta'>, and his/her
 > consort would be <be'nal> or <loDnal>.

I like ta' be'nal for Queen. In the Society for Creative Anachronism
we have the Crown and Consort instead of King and Queen as the crown
is won by combat, and women can fight. We have nothing to
go on for what a woman ruler would be called in tlhIngan Hol. Do they
even allow female leaders? On TNG women couldn't even serve on the
High Council. On the other hand, Azetbur was the Chancellor of the
High Command, and the term didn't change (in English, at least) just
because she was female. So, does Qang remain genderless? That was my
original question that got all this started. Do Klingon's distinguish
between gender in their titles? No one has brought up any canon
examples to show that they do, so unless people can prove otherwise,
I believe Klingons don't make a distinction between:
Lord and Lady (joH/jaw)
master and mistress (pIn'a')
dominator and dominatrix (ghatlhwI') (had to throw that in :^)
sir and ma'am (qaH)
etc.
Well?
> SuStel

                            maSqa'

    "Had I not known that I was dead already,
    I would have mourned the loss of my life"
              -Ota Dokan, Japanese poet
 (written while a knife protruded from his chest)

Back to archive top level