tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 08 18:24:48 1995

Re: Apposition

Marc Ruehlaender writes:
>?? ranks are of course also classes, aren't they?

I don't think ranks are simply classes.  The word "rank" implies to
me an ordered progression from one status to another within a class.
Now that I think of it, the "order" theory explains why a rank would
be placed following the other word.  Ordinal numbers come after the
noun they are numbering; ordinal *labels* ought to follow the same
pattern.  (It's not a perfect analogy; in {Qugh HoD} there is really
only one {Qugh}, not a series of them with the specific one called
out by {HoD}.)

>qIvo'rIt pagh           means "pagh, a qIvo'rIt class starship"

Here you're translating it as apposition, and I don't think that's
appropriate.  I'd say it refers to "pagh of the K'Vort class".

>qarghan HoD             means "qarghan, a captain of the Klingon fleet"

We have canon evidence that this is just "Captain qarghan" -- again,
you've tried to make this appositive, and I don't agree with that.

>tlhIngan is most certainly a class, so would it be
>tlhIngan qarghan                "qarghan, the Klingon"?

I'd prefer "Kargon of the Klingons" (similar to "Tarzan of the Apes").

>                (probably) "Dochlangan" Marc

Probably, but you're on very shaky ground if you try to translate this
as "Mark, the German".  I'm going to stick with "Mark of the Germans."