tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 08 19:30:09 1995

Re: Apposition

On Wed, 8 Nov 1995, Marc Ruehlaender wrote:

> > We don't really know how to do apposition.  {HoD} is a rank, and we
> > have seen that ranks follow names.  {qIvo'rIt} is a class; apparently
> > classes precede names.  This makes some sense; the {pagh} "belongs to"
> > the {qIvo'rIt} class, and owners precede what they own.

We now have two examples of Klingon apposition, {juHqo' Qo'noSvo'} (from
the Homeworld, Kronos) (SP1) and {tlhingan may'Duj, qItI'nga'} (Klingon
Battlecruiser, K'Tinga-Class) (S15)

It appears to me that apposition in Klingon appears much like it does in
English, however, if one of the nouns needs a Type 5 syntactic marker,
you still need to put it on the second noun, just like a N-N construction.

 > ?? ranks are of course also classes, aren't they?
> qIvo'rIt pagh 		means "pagh, a qIvo'rIt class starship"
> qarghan HoD		means "qarghan, a captain of the Klingon fleet"

I think these are examples of two different things.  In {qIvo'rIt
pagh'e'} (K'Vort Class _Pagh_), I think this is an attributive N-N
construction, the first word is describing the second word, just as in
the English translation "K'Vort Class" is an attributive phrase modifying
the name "Pagh".

In {qarghan HoD} I think it is just the convention for stating a person's
rank.  One could argue that these are two nouns in apposition, but I
don't think that is the case here.

> tlhIngan is most certainly a class, so would it be
> tlhIngan qarghan		"qarghan, the Klingon"?

On S15 we have {tlhIngan may'Duj, qItI'nga'} (Klingon Battlecruiser,
K'Tinga-Class).  Here the two nouns in apposition are separated by a
comma and appear in the same word order as in English.

>From looking at canon, it appears to me that when two nouns appear next to
each other in Klingon, they can be one of four things:

1.  N-N possessive construction	{qarghan patlh}	(Kargan's rank)
2.  N-N attributive construction {tlhIngan patlh} (a Klingon rank)
3.  Apposition  {yaS, qarghan} (the officer, Kargan)
4.  Name & Rank {qarghan HoD} (Captain Kargan)

> 		(probably) "Dochlangan" Marc

I don't think names have anything to do with N-N constructions or apposition.
For example {rura' pente'} is just a name consisting of two words.
(I guess this is a fifth category to add to the list above.)

yoDtargh

Back to archive top level