tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 08 02:25:05 1995

Re: Apposition

> We don't really know how to do apposition.  {HoD} is a rank, and we
> have seen that ranks follow names.  {qIvo'rIt} is a class; apparently
> classes precede names.  This makes some sense; the {pagh} "belongs to"
> the {qIvo'rIt} class, and owners precede what they own.

?? ranks are of course also classes, aren't they?
qIvo'rIt pagh 		means "pagh, a qIvo'rIt class starship"
qarghan HoD		means "qarghan, a captain of the Klingon fleet"

tlhIngan is most certainly a class, so would it be
tlhIngan qarghan		"qarghan, the Klingon"?

> Is your hypothetical Klingon "Mr." a rank or a title?  If it's a title,
> it probably stands by itself in Klingon, and {qaH} is probably what you
> would use.  If it's a rank, it follows the name, like {HoD}.

it is of course not a title, and if adresses count as ranks...
its just a class, indicating your addressing a member of
that class (such as Prof. or Miss, Mrs. probably equals Mr.
in Klingon)

		(probably) "Dochlangan" Marc

Marc Ruehlaender	[email protected]
Universitaet des Saarlandes, Saarbruecken, Germany