tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 08 07:04:35 1995

Re: Klingon martial arts

ghunchu'wI' write:
> DaQtIq writes:
> >... I believe the reasoning was that because the english transalation
> >[of {tonSaw'}] ended in -ing, that it probably was a verb.

> I think you're remembering MY reasoning, but not my conclusion.
> In english, putting "-ing" on a verb makes it a noun.  While the
> word "fight" is a verb, "fighting" is a noun.  "Klingon fighting"
> is a kind of fighting; also a noun.

You are correct, after checking the archives i found the message (0111.html,
if you're interested) and my error came in translating the Klingon into
English. I got <DIp> & <wot> confused. HIvqa' veqlargh!

> A verb for "fight like a Klingon" probably would have been translated
> using the word "fight" without a suffix.

It is perfectly valid for one language to use a single verb stem to express a
action and another language needing an entire phrase to adequately translate
the action.

> >But since it has two
> >syllables it seems more nounlike to me as well.

> I don't follow this argument.  Does {ghIpDIj} seem like a noun also?

It's not an argument, it's a generalization. My instincts tell me that there
are more two syllable simple nouns than two syllable verb stems.

None-the-less, i agree that <tonSaw'> is most likely a noun and i apologize
for my error which has festered for almost two months now. :)

- DaQtIq

Back to archive top level