tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 08 20:38:01 1995

Re: Klingon martial arts

On Wed, 8 Nov 1995, DaQtIq wrote:

> ghunchu'wI' write:

> > DaQtIq writes:

> > >... I believe the reasoning was that because the english transalation
> > >[of {tonSaw'}] ended in -ing, that it probably was a verb.
>
> > >But since it has two
> > >syllables it seems more nounlike to me as well.
>
> > I don't follow this argument.  Does {ghIpDIj} seem like a noun also?
>
> It's not an argument, it's a generalization. My instincts tell me that there
> are more two syllable simple nouns than two syllable verb stems.

Your generalization is statistically accurate, with the exception of verbs
with common verb suffixes like {-Ha'} & {-moH} attached, I think there are
only 3 verbs listed in TKD with two syllables: {ghIpDIj}, {HoSghaj} &
{He'So'}.

> - DaQtIq

yoDtargh

Back to archive top level