tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 07 15:29:39 1995

Re: Languages

On Tue, 7 Nov 1995, Adam Walker wrote:

> I wonder,
> does anyone know anything about Klingon Sign Language?

I wonder what would happen to a Deaf Klingon Warrior?  I imagine the
Klingons would view our attitude towards Deaf people, which I'm assuming
by the 24th century would be a rather enlightened and commonly-held view
that Deaf people are members of a cultural and linguistic minority, rather
one of weakness.

It is a little known fact that a most inspired Klingon educator,
/ghal'aDet/, had founded a school for Deaf Klingons near the Capitol City
on Kronos.  He was put to death by the High Council for attempting to
weaken the blood of the Klingon people.

I am always baffled when someone asks this question, and I remember
seeing it several times now over the years.  We're lucky to have a
*spoken* language, that Paramount only occasionally acknowledges.

--Holtej

d'Armond Speers, Research Engineer
Thomson Technology Services Group/NLP Lab    phone: 301-548-4073
1375 Piccard Drive, Suite 250                fax:   301-527-4080
Rockville, MD  20850                         email: [email protected]