tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 06 11:54:10 1995

Re: -jaj

According to Mark E. Shoulson:

> I've seen a lot of use of -jaj lately; a lot of overuse...
> So generally, 9 times out of 10, if you find yourself using -jaj a lot, you
> probably should think... are they really indicating wishes, or
> recommendations?  -nIS or nothing should replace just about all of the
> latter.  And "chaq" if it's possibility.
>
> ~mark

My shorter comment on this is that if you use {-jaj} and you
don't feel compelled to either raise your glass or spit on the
floor as you say it, then you are probably misusing it. It is
meant for cheers, blessings, curses and the like. It is as
different from normal conversational speech as the {law'/puS}
construction is different from normal word order.

You use {-jaj} to a trusted friend or to a dispised enemy and
the statement is as much proof of that status as it is any kind
of information.

To a trusted friend:

batlh *James Kirk* DaHoHjaj!

To a dispised enemy:

qoH SoHmo' 'ej bISuvvIpmo' DuHoHjaj *James Kirk*!

charghwI'
--

 \___
 o_/ \