tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 06 09:40:41 1995

Re: Suppletion

According to MR PAUL J COFFEY:

>     I think we have done suppletion to death, but no one has answered my
> original question.  Is there suppletion in tlhIngan?  Do native speakers of
> tlhIngan regard, for example,  "cha" as the plural of "peng" or as a
> separate vocabulary item?
>
>      Paul

My opinion is that Klingon speakers would consider {cha} and
{peng} to be irregular forms of the same word. Evidence is that
(pengmey} also exists, but has a different meaning than it
would have were the "normal" plural of {peng} not {cha}. If
{cha} were simply another word for {pengmey}, then {pengmey}
would not carry the additional meaning of "scattered all about".

charghwI'
--

 \___
 o_/ \