tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Nov 04 12:27:57 1995

Re: Suppletion

At 17:16 2-11-95 -0800, you wrote:
>Jarno Peschier wrote:
>
>>I just translated this litterally from Dutch: "Wat was was voor was was
>>was? Voor was was was, was was is."   ;-)
>
>   I don't read Dutch, but, if I get the drift of your quote in that
>language,  the forms "is" and "was" exist in the Dutch verb "to be."

the verb = zijn

ik ben                  ik was
jij/u bent              jij/u was
hij/zij/het/er is       hij/zij/het/er was
wij zijn                wij waren
jullie zijn             jullie waren
zij zijn                zij waren

So indeed the stories for English indeed seems to be the same for Dutch
(be-, wa-, and is are all there).

>>What's suppletion exactly anyway...?
>    Suppletion is a process by which new declensions, conjugations etc. are
>formed from two or more earlier vocabulary items. [...snip...]

Thanks for the reply. Languages are very interesting, are they not?

>    I think we have done suppletion to death, but no one has answered my
>original question.  Is there suppletion in tlhIngan?  Do native speakers of
>tlhIngan regard, for example,  "cha" as the plural of "peng" or as a
>separate vocabulary item?

Mmm, I'm no native speaker, but this example sure seems to point in the
general direction of the existence of suppletion in tlhIngan Hol. Of course
there are multiple dialects of Klingon (and the official one changes with
the emperor, right?). To me this seems to be a perfect oppurtunity for
suppletion to occur; different words for (approx.) the same from different
dialects working their way into other dialects. Any true Klingons here who
know more about this?

          Jarno Peschier, [email protected], 2:2802/245.1@Fido
      162:100/100.1@Agora, 74:3108/102.1@QuaZie, 27:2331/214.1@SigNet
     What was was, before was was was? Before was was was, was was is.

Back to archive top level