tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon May 29 02:32:25 1995

origin of the word {tlhIngan}

Khalic (Karl Dyson) wrote:
>Again, if someone would explain why tlhIngan is used to represent the
>klingon people who come from Qo'noS????

The origin of the word {tlhIngan} is obscure.  Perhaps in Ancient Klingon
{tlhI} referred to "creation"?  Then again, the somewhat similar {QI'} is
"military" so maybe {tlhIngan} used to mean a member of the armed forces.
Since Klingons consider themselves a warrior race, this makes sense.

On the gripping hand, we really don't have a large enough collection of
words to be able to be able to tear words apart and use the resulting pieces
by themselves.  {tlhIngan} means a member of the humanoid race who apparently
originated on the planet they call {Qo'noS} -- and that's that.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level