tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun May 28 10:15:20 1995

Re: Milk

According to R.B Franklin:

> On Thu, 25 May 1995 [email protected] wrote:
>
> >      DaH HIvje''a' yuchghuHiq vIparHa'.
>
> {HIvje''a' yuchghuHIq} means (the chocolate-baby-liquor of the big glass).

Hmmm. I just thought about this and wonder if it isn't really
better this way. After all, you don't want to drink the glass.
You want to drink the glass's contents: The glass's chocolate
milk.

This is one of those things I like about studying Klingon. It
wakes me up to idiomatic langauge which I never recognized as
such in English.

> I'm guessing that you're trying to say "I'd like a big glass of chocolate
> milk now."  In English, the word "like" can mean "to wish to have, to want".
> That meaning doesn't carry over into Klingon.  It would be better to say:
> DaH yuchghuHIq HIvje' tIn vItlhutlh vIneH.

majQa'.

> >      r'Hul
>
> yoDtargh

charghwI'