tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri May 26 13:35:30 1995

Re: The `Ring Rhyme' in Klingon (fwd)

On Fri, 26 May 1995, Karl Dyson wrote:

> > HIvqa' veqlargh.  I meant V = vowel.

> Erm.. for the life of me I can't figure out what you said.
> Something to do with attacking and nasty odours???

{HIvqa' veqlargh} means "Fek'lhr strikes again."  Fek'lhr is a devil-like
being in Klingon mythology who rules {ghe''or} (Gre'thor), the realm
where the dishonored go when they die.

The sentence is a common replacement proverb.  When a Klingon makes an
embarrassing mistake, he uses a replacement proverb to cover for it.
Examples of several replacement proverbs are found in the Power
Klingon audio-tape.

> [email protected]

yoDtargh

Back to archive top level