tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat May 20 11:35:34 1995

Re: KLBC: Aesop - The Wolf and the Lamb

On Sat, 20 May 1995, David Barron wrote:

> >> Ha'DIbaHvaD chun bIQ vItlhutlhbogh DalammoHtaH SoH jach Ha'DIbaH qu'
> >          ^^^
> >When you put a Type 5 noun suffix, like {-vaD}, on a noun which has an
> >adjectival verb, the suffix goes on the verb instead of the noun (Sec. 4.4.):
> >Ha'DIbaH chunvaD...

> Okay, I have tried to figure out sec.4.4.  way too many times.
> I *think* I have it now.
>
> You HAVE TO put the type five noun suffix on the modifing verb.
> I know I should know this by now but PLEASE tell me this is right.

HIja'.  bIlughchu'.  Putting noun suffixes on verbs looks odd at first,
but I think the reason for this is to prevent ambiguity.

pa'Daq tIn	In the room, he/she/it is big.  In the room, they are big.
pa' tInDaq	In the big room...   Into the big room...

be'mo' QeHqu'  	Because of the woman, he/she/it is very angry. (or)
	      	Because of the woman, they are very angry.
be' QeHqu'mo'  	Because of the very angry woman...

> david

yoDtargh

Back to archive top level