tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri May 19 14:16:06 1995

coffee

In reference to the current argument over translating words like
"cappucino" and "latte", I think we may be missing an essential
point.  This discussion started when someone asked Lawrence for
these translations so that they could present them in a menu.  We
need to know whether this individual intends to present the menu
with the items written in the actual scripts used by various
languages (i.e. cyrillic, arabic, chinese) with english sub-text,
or if he merely intendes to present a romanized or phonetically
spelled version of those languages.  If the former is the case,
then he probably wants the items to be written in <pIqaD> for the
tlhingan-Hol version, so transliterating the words would be
sufficient.  If the latter is the case, we probably should
attempt to translate the words, so that the menu doesn't end up
looking like an odd version of the English menu.

qo'ran

Back to archive top level