tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu May 18 16:03:44 1995

Re: The `Ring Rhyme' in Klingon

On Thu, 18 May 1995 13:18:55 -0400, [email protected] (Arden R. Smith) said:
> 'Iwvan <[email protected]> writes:

>> Isn't it `Elf-kings' rather than `Elven kings' in the original?

> No, it's "Elven-kings".  I'm surprised that you (of all people)
> didn't know that!

I'm surprised too.  I must've been influenced by `Dwarf-lords' in Line 2.

> Actually, I'm even more surprised that you haven't
> already translated this into Klingon yourself!

The reason I haven't bothered is that I know of Anthony Appleyard's
effort, which was seen in TolkLang message 5.55 (2 April 1993), and
I don't think that my translation would be very different from his,
even though it would be syntactically correct :-).

Here's Anthony's translation (which is chock full of errors; the three
lines marked with asterisks belong to Ronald Kyrmse):

  elDa'joHmeHvaD chalbingDaq wej Qeb
  nawqo'joHmeHvaD naghjuHmeychajDaq Soch
  HumanmeyvaD jubbe' HeghmeH qichbogh Hut
  joHvaD Hurgh quSDajDaq Hurgh wa'
  Qotbogh Qibmey morDor puHDaq
* Hoch che'meH wa' Qeb tu'meH wa' Qeb
* Hoch qemmeH lan HurghDaq baghmeH je wa' Qeb
* Qotbogh Qibmey morDor puHDaq

For me the greatest surprise is that I wrote that Khuzdul _kh_ was an
affricate, and you didn't flame me for it.  I have no idea what could
have made me write that; I may have been thinking of the fact that the
distinction between the Khuzdul unaspirated _k_ and aspirated _kh_ would
be represented most adequately by the opposition of the Klingon stop {q}
and affricate {Q}, but it's hard to tell now.

--'Iwvan

Back to archive top level