tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu May 18 08:59:20 1995

Re: The `Ring Rhyme' in Klingon

'Iwvan <[email protected]> writes:

>Quoth Karl Dyson <[email protected]>:
>
>>  "Three rings for the elven kings under the sky"
>> Or should that be Elven Klings? :)
>
>Isn't it `Elf-kings' rather than `Elven kings' in the original?

No, it's "Elven-kings".  I'm surprised that you (of all people) didn't know
that!  Actually, I'm even more surprised that you haven't already
translated this into Klingon yourself!  Or are you just holding out on us?

And Lance Purple <[email protected]> writes:

>> On Wed, 17 May 1995 18:30:53 -0400, "R.B Franklin" <[email protected]>
>>said:
>> > Maybe a Tolkien scholar can confirm this, but I think the word for elf
>> > in Quenya is "elda", so perhaps you could use {*'elda'pu' che'wI'pu'}
>> > (the rulers of the Elves).
>
>I suggest:
>
>ngemyoq   - Elf   ("forest humanoid")

But not all of the Elves of Middle-earth are Wood-elves (Silvan Elves,
Tawarwaith)!

*       Arden R. Smith          [email protected]      *
*  "welaga nu, waltant got [quad Hiltibrant],  wewurt skihit."  *