tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu May 18 10:43:48 1995

Re: Coffee

I thought of using >SoSbIQ< for milk once: "the water of the mother".  Of
course >SoSbIQ< could also have a meaning such as in "breaking the water".

BTW, someone wasn't sure that latte originally meant milk.  It does.  From
the Latin root lact-, which of course appears in Greek as
galakt-/galax-.  My Latin history text is absent; but I think that I
remember a connection between lact, galact and lachryma (tears)....   Any
Ur-Indo-European scholars still in on this one?

FWIW, we already have a word from MO for coffee.  'Twas mentioned in
HolQeD.  Maybe y'all can call cafe au lait "white coffee".  That
translates without difficulty.

Dave.

Back to archive top level