tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu May 18 07:39:18 1995

Re: works for me

According to Mark E. Shoulson:

> The only difficulty I have with "jIHvaD Qap" is a niggling doubt that maybe
> this is a stretch of -vaD.  After all, the implication is not that it works
> for my benefit, or with me as recipient, but only that it works *as
> observed* by me.  Is this really a legitimate use of -vaD?  Maybe.  But
> maybe not.  What do you think?
>
> ~mark

My intended meaning when I wrote it was that it works for my
benefit. It works, by my perspective. If it didn't work for my
benefit, I would not care enough about it to approve it and
instead would say, {jISaHbe'}.

A middle-road alternative would be {Qap 'e' vIHar}. Lately,
I've been seeing a lot of {'e' vIQub}s and I tend to prefer
{Har} because {Qub} strikes me as a word better left
intransitive most of the time. The way we use "think" in
English is perhaps a somewhat idiomatic, mindless replacement
for the word "believe".

charghwI'
--

 \___