tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu May 18 06:29:09 1995

Re: works for me

>Date: Wed, 17 May 1995 13:18:30 -0400
>Originator: [email protected]
>From: [email protected] (Steve Weaver)

>ghItlh Soqra'tIS: How would YOU say "It works for me"?

>ghItlh charghwI': jIHvaD Qap qechlIj.

>ghItlh ~mark: Maybe vIlaj jIH.

>Clipped to {vIlaj} (if permissable) I'd accept. However {vIlaj jIH} or "I
>accept it" doesn't quite carry the "flavor" as {jIHvaD Qap qechlIj},
>eventhough when the meaning is "acceptance" the could be considered
>synono... synonu... sinonu... er, the same thing.

The implication I meant with vIlaj jIH was "As for me, I accept it", using
the redundant pronoun for topic-marking (tho Okrand tends to use it for
focus-marking).

>But at least I now have a come-back for Kruge when he says that his
>disrupter doesn't work, I can tell him "jIHvaD Qap qechlIj".

The only difficulty I have with "jIHvaD Qap" is a niggling doubt that maybe
this is a stretch of -vaD.  After all, the implication is not that it works
for my benefit, or with me as recipient, but only that it works *as
observed* by me.  Is this really a legitimate use of -vaD?  Maybe.  But
maybe not.  What do you think?

~mark

Back to archive top level