tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed May 17 15:42:02 1995

Re: Beginner Help: Tolkien

On Wed, 17 May 1995 18:30:53 -0400, "R.B Franklin" <[email protected]> said:
> Maybe a Tolkien scholar can confirm this, but I think the word for elf
> in Quenya is "elda", so perhaps you could use {*'elda'pu' che'wI'pu'}
> (the rulers of the Elves).

I don't think Quenya is a likely language for Klingon to borrow words from.
(Its sound probably wouldn't have appealed to the Klingons, for one thing.)
Just take the Federation Standard word.  I vote for {'elev}.

> I think the Dwarves called themselves "Khazad" (Tolkien experts?),
> so you might say {*HaSaDpu' jawpu'vaD}.

The _Kh_ in _Khaza^d_ is an affricate, so {QaSaD} is closer than {HaSaD},
though again I think it's better to borrow the English word as {Dorov}.
There probably won't be many more Dwarves walking around in the 24th
century than there are now, so the Klingons will learn about them
from English-speaking Men.

--'Iwvan

Back to archive top level